Firefly III: a personal finances manager.
- Get started
- The goal
- Other stuff
"Firefly III" is a (self-hosted) manager for your personal finances. It can help you keep track of your expenses and income, so you can spend less and save more. Firefly III supports the use of budgets, categories and tags. It can import data from external sources and it has many neat financial reports available. Here are some screenshots:
Personal financial management is pretty difficult, and everybody has their own approach to it. Some people make budgets, other people limit their cashflow by throwing away their credit cards, others try to increase their current cashflow. There are tons of ways to save and earn money. Firefly III works on the principle that if you know where you're money is going, you can stop it from going there.
By keeping track of your expenses and your income you can budget accordingly and save money. Stop living from paycheck to paycheck but give yourself the financial wiggle room you need.
You can read more about this in the official documentation.
- Firefly III runs on your own server, so you are fully in control of your data. It will not contact other sites or servers.
- You can import from over 2500 financial providers, in 55 countries when you enable the Spectre API.
- You can also import from bunq, from YNAB, using FinTS or simply by uploading CSV files.
- Firefly III features an JSON REST API with a Python API client built by ms32035.
- If you feel you’re missing something you can just ask me and I’ll add it!
But actually, it features:
- A double-entry bookkeeping system
- You can store, edit and remove withdrawals, deposits and transfers. This allows you full financial management
- You can manage different types of accounts
- It's possible to create, change and manage money using budgets
- Organize transactions using categories
- Save towards a goal using piggy banks
- Predict and anticipate bills
- View income / expense reports
- Rule based transaction handling with the ability to create your own rules.
- The ability to export data so you can move to another system.
- The ability to import data so you can move from another system.
- Organize expenses using tags
- 2 factor authentication for extra security 🔒
- Supports any currency you want, including crypto currencies such as ₿itcoin and Ξthereum
- Lots of help text in case you don’t get it
- Translations into 10(!) languages, proudly powered by Crowdin.
Everything is organised:
- Clear views that should show you how you're doing
- Easy navigation through your records
- Browse back and forth to see previous months or even years
- Lots of charts because we all love them
- Financial reporting showing you how well you are doing
- Lots of math because we all like math!
This application is for people who want to track their finances, keep an eye on their money without having to upload their financial records to the cloud. You're a bit tech-savvy, you like open source software and you don't mind tinkering with (self-hosted) servers.
There are many ways to run Firefly III
There is a demo site with an example financial administration already present.
You can install it on your server.
You can run it using Docker.
You can deploy to Heroku.
Please read the considerations when using Heroku first though.
You can deploy to Sandstorm.io.
Note that you must have a paid Sandstorm account for this to work, or you must self-host your Sandstorm server.
You can install it using AMPPS
You can install it with YunoHost.
Even more options are on the way!
Your help is always welcome! Feel free to open issues, ask questions, talk about it and discuss this tool. I've create several social media accounts and I invite you to follow them, tweet at them and post to them. There's reddit, Twitter and Facebook just to start. It's not very active but it's a start!
For all other contributions, see below.
Firefly III should give you insight into and control over your finances. Money should be useful, not scary. You should be able to see where it is going, to feel your expenses and to... wow, I'm going overboard with this aren't I?
But you get the idea: this is your money. These are your expenses. Stop them from controlling you. I built this tool because I started to dislike money. Having it, not having, paying bills with it, etc. But no more. I want to feel "safe", whatever my balance is. And I hoop this tool can help. I know it helps me.
Over time, many people have contributed to Firefly III.
Several users have built pretty awesome stuff around the Firefly III API. Check out these tools:
Want to be in this list? Let me know!
If you like Firefly III and if it helps you save lots of money, why not send me a dime for every dollar saved!
OK that was a joke. You can become a backer or a sponsor of the Firefly III Open Collective. On that page, I transparently show you the expenses I make and the donations I receive.
You can also donate using PayPal.
Thank you for considering donating to Firefly III!
I like badges!