A PHP API to Wikisources (all languages).
- ext-json: *
- ext-simplexml: *
- addwiki/mediawiki-api: ^0.7
- dflydev/dot-access-data: ^3.0
- psr/cache: ^1.0
- psr/log: ^1.0
- symfony/dom-crawler: ^4.2|^5.0
- mediawiki/mediawiki-codesniffer: ^v39.0
- mediawiki/minus-x: ^1.1
- monolog/monolog: ^1.21|^2.0
- php-parallel-lint/php-parallel-lint: ^1.2
- symfony/var-dumper: ^5.1
- tedivm/stash: ^0.17
This is an client API library for retrieving data from Wikisources. It uses data from Wikidata where it can, or MediaWiki API data from specific Wikisources, or resorts to scraping HTML where that's the only option.
Features (some are in development and are not yet functional):
- List all Wikisources.
- Get metadata about a single Wikisource: language code, language name (in that language), and information about namespaces (their names and IDs).
- List all Works in a Wikisource.
- Get metadata about a single Work on a Wikisource: URL, page name, work title, author, year of publication, proofreading quality, and a list of Index Pages used by the Work.
- Get metadata about a single Index Page on a Wikisource: URL, page name, list of Pages, and proofreading quality.
- Get metadata about a single proofreading Page on a Wikisource (i.e. a wiki-page in the Page namespace): URL, wiki-page name, page number (in Djvu/PDF), page label (in the Index's page-list), and proofreading quality.
Install with Composer:
$ composer require wikisource/api
You might also want something that implements
and something that implements
psr/cache, if you want to
use the logging and caching features of this library.
Find all Wikisources:
$wsApi = new \Wikisource\Api\WikisourceApi(); $wikisources = $wsApi->fetchWikisources();
Get a single work:
$wsApi = new \Wikisource\Api\WikisourceApi(); $enWs = $wsApi->fetchWikisource('en'); $prideAndPrejudice = $enWs->getWork('Pride and Prejudice'); echo $work->getWorkTitle().' was published in '.$work->getYear();
Let it cache results, such as the seldom-changing list of available Wikisources as derived from Wikidata (any implementation of PSR-6 works here):
$wsApi = new \Wikisource\Api\WikisourceApi(); $cache = new Pool(new FileSystem(['path' => __DIR__.'/cache'])); $wsApi->setCache($cache);
examples/ directory for fully-functioning examples
that you can run straight away from the command line.
Every external request that this library performs will be cached
if you provide a cache pool via
The default cache times are as follows:
|List of Wikisources||30 days||Parameter to
|Index Page metadata||1 hour||Parameter to
|A Work's Wikidata Item number||1 day||Not possible|
You can enable logging by passing
WikisourceApi::setLogger() any object
that implements PSR-3's
Please report all issues via Phabricator (tag them with the 'wikisource-api' project).
Copyright © 2016 Sam Wilson and other contributors.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.