Semantic Linkbacks for WebMentions, Trackbacks and Pingbacks
Contributors: pfefferle, dshanske
Donate link: http://14101978.de
Tags: webmention, pingback, trackback, linkback, microformats, comments, indieweb
Requires at least: 4.8.2
Requires PHP: 5.3
Tested up to: 4.8.2
Stable tag: 3.5.1
License URI: http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
Richer Comments and Linkbacks for WordPress!
Generates richer WordPress comments from linkbacks such as Webmention or classic linkback protocols like Trackback or Pingback.
The limited display for trackbacks and linkbacks is replaced by a clean full sentence, such as "Bob mentioned this article on bob.com." If Bob's site uses markup that the plugin can interpret, it may add his profile picture or other parts of his page to display as a full comment.
Semantic Linkbacks uses Microformats 2 to get information about the linked post and it is highly extensible to also add support for other forms of markup.
Most modern WordPress themes support the older Microformats standard, which means the plugin should be able to get basic information from to enhance linkbacks. The plugin is most useful with webmention support(separate plugin) and sites/themes that support Microformats 2.
Webmention is a modern reimplementation of Pingback and is now a W3C Recommendation.
The IndieWeb community defines several types of feedback:
- Replies: http://indieweb.org/replies
- Reposts: http://indieweb.org/repost
- Likes: http://indieweb.org/likes
- Favorites: http://indieweb.org/favorite
- RSVPs: http://indieweb.org/rsvp
- Tagging: http://indieweb.org/tag
- Classic "Mentions": http://indieweb.org/mentions
The plugin will automatically enhance webmentions, trackbacks, and pingbacks with an avatar and additional context. It will also automatically add a facepile instead of individual comments, but this feature can either be turned off by an aware theme or under Discussion in your Settings.
Project actively developed on Github at pfefferle/wordpress-semantic-linkbacks. Please file support issues there.
- Bugfix release
- Add Facepile code
- Add setting to disable automatic facepile include
- Add filter to allow themes to disable the setting and the feature if they facepile themselves
- Add PHP requirement to readme file
- Abstract out linkback retrieval functions to allow for easier changes in future
- Fix retrieval issue
- Remove merge and compatibility function creating double slashing due update in 4.7.1
- Replace blacklist for properties with whitelist for select properties
- Update avatar function to not override if user_id is set on assumption local overrides remote
- Fix Tests and Error in Authorship
- Update Parser
- Switch to looser restrictions if WP_DEBUG is enabled and stricter ones otherwise
- Enhance Author Properties to allow for retrieving remote h-card
- Store mf2 properties
- Store location in WordPress Geodata
- Use rel-syndication if not u-syndication
- Support new webmention source meta key
- Due to changes in WordPress 4.4 through 4.7 and version 3.0.0 of the Webmentions plugin this plugin can act on the retrieved remote source rather than rerequesting this information.
- Major enhancement work is done in preprocessing now rather than post-processing
- Render full mention content if short enough. Introduce MAX_INLINE_MENTION_LENGTH which defaults to 300 characters to implement same.
- Fix text domain
- updated hooks/filters
- changed hook from
comment_post(thanks to @dshanske)
- used the WordPress Coding Standard
- small code improvements
- I18n support
- German translation
- some small changes and bugfixes
- quick fix to prevent crash if Mf2 lib is used by a second plugin
- added counter functions for comments by type (props to David Shanske)
- some bugfixes
- some small tweaks
- added custom comment classes based on the linkback-type (props to David Shanske for the idea)
- added support for threaded comments
- fixed bug in comments section
- nicer integration with trackbacks, linkbacks and webmentions
- "via" links for indieweb "reply"s (thanks to @snarfed for the idea)
- simplified output for all other indieweb "comment" types
- better parser (thanks to voxpelly for his test-pinger)
- now ready to use in a bundle
- initial release
- Pelle Wessman (@voxpelli) for his awesome WebMention test-pinger
- Ryan Barrett (@snarfed) for his feedback
- Barnaby Walters (@barnabywalters) for his awesome mf2 parser
- David Shanske (@dshanske) for his feedback and a lot of pull requests
- (@acegiak) for the initial plugin
- Upload the
webmention-folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress
- ...and that's it :)