Globally Unique ID Generator
Installs: 3 639
- php: >=7.0.0
- phpunit/phpunit: ~6.0
This package is not auto-updated.
Last update: 2023-03-21 11:54:11 UTC
This project is a PHP implementation of the Go Lang library found here: https://github.com/rs/xid
Package xid is a globally unique id generator library, ready to be used safely directly in your server code.
Xid is using Mongo Object ID algorithm to generate globally unique ids with a different serialization (base64) to make it shorter when transported as a string: https://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/object-id/
- 4-byte value representing the seconds since the Unix epoch,
- 3-byte machine identifier,
- 2-byte process id, and
- 3-byte counter, starting with a random value.
The binary representation of the id is compatible with Mongo 12 bytes Object IDs. The string representation is using base32 hex (w/o padding) for better space efficiency when stored in that form (20 bytes). The hex variant of base32 is used to retain the sortable property of the id.
Xid doesn't use base64 because case sensitivity and the 2 non alphanum chars may be an
issue when transported as a string between various systems. Base36 wasn't retained either
because 1/ it's not standard 2/ the resulting size is not predictable (not bit aligned)
and 3/ it would not remain sortable. To validate a base32
xid, expect a 20 chars long,
all lowercase sequence of
v letters and
9 numbers (
UUIDs are 16 bytes (128 bits) and 36 chars as string representation. Twitter Snowflake ids are 8 bytes (64 bits) but require machine/data-center configuration and/or central generator servers. xid stands in between with 12 bytes (96 bits) and a more compact URL-safe string representation (20 chars). No configuration or central generator server is required so it can be used directly in server's code.
|Name||Binary Size||String Size||Features|
|UUID||16 bytes||36 chars||configuration free, not sortable|
|shortuuid||16 bytes||22 chars||configuration free, not sortable|
|Snowflake||8 bytes||up to 20 chars||needs machin/DC configuration, needs central server, sortable|
|MongoID||12 bytes||24 chars||configuration free, sortable|
|xid||12 bytes||20 chars||configuration free, sortable|
- Size: 12 bytes (96 bits), smaller than UUID, larger than snowflake
- Base32 hex encoded by default (20 chars when transported as printable string, still sortable)
- Non configured, you don't need set a unique machine and/or data center id
- Embedded time with 1 second precision
- Unicity guaranteed for 16,777,216 (24 bits) unique ids per second and per host/process
Best used with xlog's RequestIDHandler.
- Python port by Graham Abbott: https://github.com/graham/python_xid
- PHP >= 7.0.0
- POSIX enabled
- APCu extension (optional, to share counter across requests)
composer require fpay/xid-php
$guid = \Fpay\Xid\Generator::create(); echo $guid . PHP_EOL; // Output: 9m4e2mr0ui3e8a215n4g
xid embedded info:
$guid->machine(); $guid->pid(); $guid->time(); $guid->counter();
Decode from string:
$guid = \Fpay\Xid\Generator::fromString("9m4e2mr0ui3e8a215n4g");
All source code is licensed under the MIT License.