E-learning platform for the Elefant CMS
An e-learning app for the Elefant CMS. Lemur aims to be the Wordpress of e-learning, a free and ultra-simple way to publish and host your own courses that keeps you in control.
However, Lemur has a ways to go before it is ready for non-developers. We still have reams of documentation to write, and more work to do to make it as simple as possible to get up and running, regardless of your skill level.
Lemur Learning is brought to you by the Centre for Education and Work, a Canadian non-profit dedicated to helping Canadians improve their lives through learning.
Here is a screenshot of the Lemur Learning course editor:
- Publish your own courses of any length
- Easy-to-use and powerful course editor
- Embed SCORM modules and other dynamic content into courses
- Courses can be free, paid, or private
- Easy learner account management
- Learner input and instructor feedback cycle
- Built on a fast, completely modern CMS platform
- Easy theming of your learner website
- Integrate with the Lemur Learning API
- To instructor for new assessment input
- To instructor for new comments
- To instructor for new learner registered
- To learner welcome email
- How to use the Lemur Learning API
First, you will need to install the Elefant CMS. Once that is running, follow these steps:
1. From the root folder of the site run the following command:
php composer.phar require elefant/app-lemur
This will also install the following apps that Lemur depends on:
Note: You may need to add
"minimum-stability": "dev"to your
composer.jsonfile in order for Composer to work correctly while Lemur is still in development.
Payments: Additional payment providers can be supported by implementing the payment handler interface found here. More documentation and examples still to come.
2. Copy the file
apps/lemur/sample_bootstrap.php into your document root and rename
bootstrap.php. If a
bootstrap.php already exists, open the file and add the
relevant lines of code to your existing
cp apps/lemur/sample_bootstrap.php bootstrap.php
3. Copy the
apps/lemur/theme folder into your
layouts folder and rename it
cp -R apps/lemur/theme layouts/lemur
4. Log into Elefant and run the Lemur installer by navigating to Tools > Courses.
5. Add the following line to the
[Hooks] section of
conf/config.php to enable
email notifications of comments to course instructors:
comments/add = lemur/hook/comments
6. Go to Tools > Navigation and add the
Courses page to your site tree.
7. Go to Tools > Designer and set the Lemur layout as your default.
8. Copy the
product.php file from your
apps/lemur folder into the global
conf folder, overwriting the existing copy. This will replace the Elefant
branding with Lemur's own.
You should now have a working Lemur installation.
To create courses, go to Tools > Courses. To install SCORM modules for use in your
courses, go to Tools > SCORM. To view the list of courses on your site visit the
/courses URL and you will see any publicly visible courses listed there.
Early documentation is available through Lemur's Github wiki page.