sending Magento mail through an external smtp-server
Magento 1 SMTP Pro Extension by Ashley Schroder (aschroder.com)
- Free and Opensource email extension for Magento 1.x
- Easily send Magento transactional emails via Google Apps, Gmail, Amazon SES or your own SMTP server
- Test your configuration from the Magento admin
- View a log of all emails
- Improve deliverability with an external SMTP server
- nl_NL translations thanks to Melvyn Sopacua
- es_ES translations thanks to Jhoon Saravia
- pt_BR translations thanks to Gabriel Zamprogna
- fr_FR translations thanks to @aymencis Aymen Hajri
- de_DE translations thanks to @quafzi Thomas Birke
- ru_RU translations thanks to Victor Ivanov
Q: It's not working A: Check for extension conflicts, and check that your host allows outbound SMTP traffic.
Q: Does it work with the Mailchimp extension A: Yes, see: http://www.aschroder.com/2011/09/using-smtp-pro-and-ebizmarts-mailchimp-extension-in-magento/.
Q: How do I install it manually A: See: http://www.aschroder.com/2010/05/installing-a-magento-extension-manually-via-ftp-or-ssh/ or use modman.
Q: Self test is failing with "Exception message was: Unable to connect via TLS" A: Check that you have OpenSSL installed for your PHP environment.
Q: Self test is failing with messages like: "can not open connection to the host, on port 587" or "Connection timed out". A: Check that you have the SMTP server host and port correct, if you do - then check with your webhost, many block SMTP connections due to spam. If that's the case, there are plenty of expert Magento hosts on display at magespeedtest.com.
Q: Self test is failing with "Exception message was: 5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 5.7.1..." A: It's actually good advice to learn more here: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257. But two things to check:
- that you are really 110% sure you have the right username and password (test it on gmail.com)
- If that does work, then Google may have blocked your server IP due to too many wrong passwords. You need to log in to gmail.com from that IP - in order to answer the captcha and allow the IP through again. There's a few ways to do that - SOCKS proxy, X forward a browser, use Lynx.
Q: I am getting a Subject set twice error A: This happens sometimes, typically if it is happening it would also be happening in core Magento. There is a Pull Request here that includes a work around thanks to Rafael Kassner.